Copyright

Creative Commons License
What I Would Do To Avoid A Mental Breakdown by Janna Herchenroder is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Life writing

I had a professor tell me today that I was an amazing writer...needless to say I love her right now. That may just be the difference between a fictional writing class versus a literature class; they consist of much different professors with different reading and writing preferences. I suppose there is also a major difference between the genders on this subject. From my own personal experience, women tend to like things that are more poetically written, even if the poetry is vulgar, it cannot be harsh. Men tend to like the opposite: the ugly truth, drop-dead honesty. As a writer, I tend to display everything- even ugly emotions in beautiful script. No, this does not mean that I am always an optomist or trying to make something what it is not; I simply want to make it enjoyable to read, no matter how devastating the actual topic.
When an author writes something so blatantly, it shows me that they cannot create depth to their writing and they might be writing just as they speak. I would not want to have a conversation with that person. I believe that life itself is not always beautiful, and in those moments it is better to make some aspect of it so.
Thought for the day: Try to make your words (whether spoken or written) beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment