Copyright

Creative Commons License
What I Would Do To Avoid A Mental Breakdown by Janna Herchenroder is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Note to the Elephant In the Room:

Dear Sir,
Your stare is getting quite difficult to ignore or avoid. I find that I truly want to look into your gaze - it may not be so terrible as I may have imagined. Out of the corner of my eye I see your shifting eyes and I lose my nerve.
 Sometimes I open my mouth as if to speak to you (I am quite lonely, you know) and quickly snap my mouth shut.
Above all else, I am afraid of your voice, of what it might sound like. I know it must be great and terrible.
 I fear what you would say. You wouldn't shout at me, I'm sure. It would be like a rumbling tremor in the floor that would ripple to where I stood. You would tell me how impractical I am being, how I am emotionally unstable and I need to get my act together. I just know I would break under the weight...
....because I know it's all true...
You have planted your enormous hide in the corner that I enjoyed the most. No longer being able to approach this corner, I feel my daily life...lacking. My coffee pot is over there...
I feel the room move when you shift your weight; you only do this when I find myself forgetting that you are there. I cannot forget for more than a few sweet moments.
I wish you would pack up and leave, but where would you go?
I feel bad dismissing you so. If you are going to be in anyone's way, it might as well be me, I suppose. You are company at least. Besides, if you leave now, I would probably miss you.
Most Sincerely,
Your Host

No comments:

Post a Comment