Copyright

Creative Commons License
What I Would Do To Avoid A Mental Breakdown by Janna Herchenroder is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Room Leans to One Side Under My Feet

This dark room is filled with...well, anything but you. I try to tear my mind away - perhaps if I focus on the whiteness of the walls...they really need some good paint.
I keep the tv on and flip the channels, trying to find a laugh. I finally land on "Whose Line is it Anyway". It helps for a few minutes. But I wish you were sitting here with me, watching it.
The white light of the computer hurts my eyes after so long, but I'm afraid to put it away. I keep out as many distractions as possible. I try to make myself comfortable, but nothing is the same as home. I try to keep the window open, but I go quickly from hot to cold. Laughter brings tears to my eyes and I forget for a moment...then I suddenly want to share scene on tv with you.
Something has changed. Only a few spare weeks ago, I wasn't afraid of my thoughts. Sometimes I think that I wanted to share every thought with you anyway...it didn't matter that I didn't know you yet...I just knew that you were out there. But I wasn't afraid to turn out the lights at night before I met you. Until one morning I dreamt that you were sleeping next to me and I couldn't understand why you weren't there when I woke up.
Now that my exhaustion has caught up with me, I hope I sleep soundly...and I still want to think of you. I fear you are not thinking of me...after all: life gets in the way.
I fear you may have become my life, so my room is slanting and all the furniture is rolling to my end and I am cramped over here with chairs tripping me up because I can't help but see your face. You seem to be dwelling deep in thought while you sit on your remaining chair, looking down at me. You have to dig your heels in deep to keep from joining me...I just hope you don't do that on purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment