Copyright

Creative Commons License
What I Would Do To Avoid A Mental Breakdown by Janna Herchenroder is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

poetry week :)

Anyone is welcome to post in "comments" their favorite poems! I just want to share a few: some of mine and some other interesting ones. I never liked reading poetry until i was interested in writing it, except for the following poet:
God's Wheel by Shel Silverstein
GOD says to me with a kind
of smile, "Hey how would you like
to be God awhile And steer the world?"
"Okay," says I, "I'll give it a try.

Where do I set?
How much do I get?
What time is lunch?
When can I quit?"

"Gimme back that wheel," says GOD.
"I don't think you're quite ready YET."
 
Forgotten Language by Shel Silverstein
Once I spoke the language of the flowers,
Once I understood each word the caterpillar said,
Once I smiled in secret at the gossip of the starlings,
And shared a conversation with the housefly
in my bed.
Once I heard and answered all the questions
of the crickets,
And joined the crying of each falling dying
flake of snow,
Once I spoke the language of the flowers. . . .
How did it go?
How did it go?
 
Silverstein is a very fun read. Note that he has a very particular "voice" in each of his poems that is unmistakeable. I once memorized two of his poems for a 4-H presentation and I remember them to this day:
Snowball
I made myself a snowball
as perfect as can be.
I thought I'd keep it as a pet
and let it sleep with me.
I made it some pajamas,
and a pillow for its head,
but then last night it ran away,
but first it wet the bed.
This poem has always been my favorite :) You have to love how fun they are!
Thought for the day: Read more poetry and write one poem about absolutely anything that comes to mind. I'll give you guidlines later!

1 comment:

  1. "If called by a Panther,
    don't anther."

    ..this is the Uncle Shelby I memorized! :)

    But I like the snowball one just as much...just longer than I can usually memorize!

    ReplyDelete